Long Time Favourites
A lot of bloggers share their monthly favourites at the end of each month, and while I have wanted to start doing that, I thought I would start with my long time favourites first. It seems like the appropriate place to start as there are some products, beauty and non beauty related, that are just my ultimate go-to.
1. Candles. This past year I have been all about the candles lately. I love lighting them when company is over, when I'm working, just when I'm home in general, I love the atmosphere a lit candle brings. I love the idea of being cozy and indoors, and I feel like that's the feeling a candle brings especially in the colder months. That, and they also make your home smell amazing! My favourite scents are fresh ones. One's that smell like summer or leaves, but I do also enjoy honey and musk scents.
2. Bobbi Brown eyeliner. I have always been a fan of eyeliner application with an angle brush. It's what I've always used since I was 16 and used to rim my eyes like a raccoon. I've tried the felt tips, and the liquid eyeliner tips, the pencils, but I can never control it as steady as when I use a brush. Basically, I've mastered the brush and can no longer use anything else without getting frustrated. My favourite for a long time has been Bobbi Brown's gel liner in the colour ink. It's pigmented enough for me without be too harsh. I'm not the biggest fan of stark lines, which is why I tend not to use liquid. I like the softness the Bobbi brown one gives, while still being extremely pigmented.
3. Benefits Roller Lash. If I could only choose one piece of makeup to wear for the rest of my life, it would be mascara. I am an absolute mascara snob. 100%. I've tried many, and usually after I finish with one, I'll try a completely new brand and never buy the same mascara twice. That is until the Roller lash came out this past year and my mascara world became complete! As with a bunch of other beauty gurus and critics, I am all on board the roller lash train. I absolutely LOVE it. It's the only mascara that I have found that's truly buildable (I'm a multiple coat kinda gal) and get's my lashes to the length and thickness I like without looking clumpy. It's the best. And while I'll try other's just to test, this one has stuck as my go-to for so long now.
4. Laura Mercier Bronzer in the colour 'Golden Mosaic'. I bought this back in the spring time and have been wearing it almost everyday since. The combination of the 4 colours is just the right amount for my skintone to give it that nice 'contoury' glow — aka, it makes me look less dead in the morning. I also love that I can use it as a highlight with just the lighter shade, which makes packing for a weekend trip or any trip a lot easier on my makeup bag.
5. Coconut oil. Okay, I know you must be so SICK of everyone talking about coconut oil, but once you start using it, you'll become one of those people that talk about it ALL the time. Recently a friend told me about using it as a facial cleanser, and while I was skeptical, I thought I may as well give it a shot. I'll try anything once. And of course I got hooked on that too on top of all the other things you can do with coconut oil. Besides for cooking, I also use it for my eczema which I get quite badly on my hands. The funny thing is, is that I don't even like coconut. I've always hated the taste and flavour of coconut anything, so I find it odd sometimes how obsessed with coconut oil I've become.
6. Bumble & Bumble Prêt-a-Powder. The last time I went to get my hair touched up with for my ombré, I got introduced to this little guy and I've been hooked ever since. I've never been too fussy with my hair. i generally leave it to air dry, and put just a touch of moroccan oil on the tips. Besides that, most days I don't put any product in my hair. On the third or fourth day of dirty hair, I'll add some dry shampoo to cover up the grease, but I've never been a fan of aerosol cans. There's a smell that they give off that I just can't stand. It's also why I never use hair spray. Then my hairdresser showed me this bumble & bumble product and I've never looked back. I know there are other powders, and people have even used baby powder before to absorb oil in their hair (which I have used, but with dark hair, it doesn't blend in too well....), but I've never found a product that was so easy to use before in powder form! You literally squeeze the bottle to let small amounts of powder out the top so you never accidentally dump a bunch onto your hair. It adds a nice texture to my hair too, which is always great for me because my hair is generally just a limp mop on my head if I let it. Again, besides moroccan oil, I've never been impressed with a hair product enough to buy it again, but I'll most defs buy this one again when I run out.